Tuesday, July 7, 2009

And so it ends...

Hello!
And so it ends...
I am currently in Athens Airport waiting for my flight home. There are so many feelings, emotions, thoughts, and experiences I could write now. However, its hard to begin. I am sad to see it end and a bit nervous to return to crazy America, but very excited to see friends and family.


For months I have pondered what it would be like to be flying home. Now I am here and there is no sense of finality or grand concluding realization. My lessons have built up over the year and seeds have come to mean the world to me. They are more than a protest against Monsanto, but a symbol of freedom, a carrier of values and traditions, a connection to cultures and histories, a tool for ecological agriculture, survival for peasant farmers, and the basis for all life. They provide more tasty, healthy crops which promote a different way of life, are an integral part of community, resist pests and disease, help us to adapt to climate change, provide options for breeding, and much more. Using traditional seeds we can help to improve farmers lives, preserve diverse cultures, and promote a better way of life. Seeds are needed for all aspects of agricultural development. Breeders need a diversity of seeds to create more drought resistant or productive crops in the future to adress our food crisis. Peasant farmers who can not afford or hybrids and expensive chemical inputs need a diversity of seeds to produce the food and products their family needs in challenging environments. The reasons are endless and each day I learn more about the importance of seeds, their uses, and connections to cultures and farming systems.

Aside from seeds this year have taught me an amazing amount about myself. Before I left my professor said to me 'This trip will change you forever. Good Luck' At the time I didnt know what he meant. Now I return a different person than a year ago. I have seen the world and am filled with a positivity and hope I never had before. Perhaps the greatest realization I have come to all year is that the world is a kind place and the importance of community. Everyone from elite businessmen to poor ethiopian farmers have fed me feasts, hosted me, taught me, shared laughs, shared tears, and taught me what it means to be a good person. They have shown me their is an infinite number of ways to live this life and view our world. However, there is more which unites us than divides us. By learning to listen and being open and I have embraced all the world has taught me. I cannot put into words exatly how this journey has changed me yet, but I know my life will never be the same. I have more motivation than ever to work for ecological agriculture and seeds, but have also seen the value of relaxing with friends, listening to others, and sharing in a long meal.

I cannot say exactly what my life will hold when I return to the states, see family, and work on my friends farm in California. Iam excited for all of it too. Its emotional to know this stage of my life, the research, and personal journey is over. However, it does not feel like an end. Only a new chapter begins. Another story to be written, more seeds to grow!
Got to run to my flight! I will edit later and write much more.

3 comments:

Luigi said...

Well done, and safe journey back home!

Sarah said...

Reading this blog has been very moving and inspiring. "What a long strange trip it's been" as the Grateful Dead would say. Good luck with coming home. Safe travels.

Madeline McKeever said...

I really enjoyed your travels too. Your photos of the quinoa fields inspired me to sow some this year. It was a bit late going in but doing fine now. I've put a picture up on my blog.